Departure dates: on request.
The following itinerary is a shortened version of “The Tazheran steppe and Olkhon island “. It consists merely of the backpacking part without visiting Olkhon Island and therefore its budget looks much more attractive.
The tour starts with meeting the group in Irkutsk airport/railway station and a brief city tour. After that we’ll travel 230 km by minivan to Buguldeika village that is located a couple of kilometers away from the shoreline of lake Baikal. Lunch en route at a road café. We’ll walk a short distance (about 6 km) put up our tents on Lake Baikal shore and cook dinner on camp fire. (D)
Our trip starts in a beautiful pine tree forest that grows on top of a vast plateau. At several places we’ll walk down from the plateau back to the water and hike along the shoreline of Baikal. Our hiking this day will finish in a scenic fold on the shore of Baikal, which will generously share with you its mighty energy. Overnight in tents. Daily trip about 12 km (BLD)
From the start we’ll climb up a gorgeous cliff from top of which one can appreciate a wonderful panoramic view of Lake Baikal. After a short stop for taking pictures we’ll follow the shoreline bypassing a number of other cliffs. Lunch en-route. To avoid climbing over every other cliff be prepared to wade a short section (about 70-80 meters). At one point you will come across a beach with a narrow stripe of unusual black color sand and right after it a picturesque bay were we’ll stop for overnight. Daily trip 18 km (BLD)
The backpacking will continue after breakfast along a forest road towards the famous Sagan-Zaba Cliff *. This white-marble rock is well seen against the gray background of the coast. Upon your wish you can spend some time looking for ancient inscriptions on the rocks. Dinner. Overnight in tents. Daily trip 18 km (BLD)
* The cliff is famous for its rock-drawings depicting scenes from life of ancient shamanism worshippers among which one can see dancing shamans crowned with antlers, running deer and swans – these rock drawings are world-renowned for their unique features, generally regarded as “gems” of ancient culture.
One day just to relax and explore the area of Sagan-Zaba. Easy hikes with daypacks. Overnight at the same camp site. (BLD)
Our next destination is Birhit bay – one of the numerous spots along the coast line where local Buryat people make their living by catching Baikal fish. We’ll stop for lunch next to a beautiful creak and after that continue our trip to the valley of Anga River from were we’ll ascend Murtyl Hada Mountain that once used to serve as a signal light spot and today is a perfect natural observation point. Atop this mountain one can clearly realize how people managed to spread the news and deliver messages in the ancient times. 20 km (BLD)
After breakfast we’ll pack up our belongings and set off by van back to Irkutsk city. Lunch at a road cafe. Upon arrival accommodation in a guest house or hostel. Dinner on your own. (BL)
Breakfast. Transfer to the airport or railway station. (B)
- Please, note that the check in is at 12-00. In case of early arrival you might have to wait at the reception for the check-in hours.
- You may adjust the program and add a few days as an optional tour which is not included in the main tour cost.
- Total distance of your hiking trip is about 85 km.
- No special training is required, but participant should be well fit, used to long hikes with heavy backpacks (20 + kg)
- Tourists should have proper backpacks, sleeping bags, footwear and other backpacking items suitable for long distance trips.
- Most meals throughout the itinerary will be prepared over the campfire.
- Outfit and gear: tents, sleeping mats.
- Climate conditions: Occasional rains and low temperatures at night are possible. Due to the changeable weather the tour itinerary may be altered.
|Number of PAX in a group||2||3||4-5||6-8|
|Cost p/p in Rubles||49 200||38 800||33 000||29 400|
- Single supplement 800 Rub
- Transportation as described in the itinerary;
- Accommodations in a guest house or hostel in Irkutsk city;
- All meals described (B – breakfast, L – lunch, D – dinner);