Departure dates: on request.
The itinerary offers a backpacking trip in the heart of Khamar-Daban mountain range that borders the south-western coast line of Lake Baikal. This is a popular area for outdoor lovers all the year round. In winter the unreclaimed snowy slopes of Khamar Daban are explored by downhill skiers. In summer the white waters and meandering trails attract rafts men and backpackers from all over the country. During this trip you will see amazing natural phenomenon – beautiful mountain lakes and waterfalls, ascend one of the highest peaks of Hamar-Daban and enjoy hiking through the real Siberian jungles.
Arrival in Irkutsk. Meeting and assistance at the airport. Transfer to your guest house and accommodation. After you have had some rest our guide will invite you for a brief city tour *. Meals at personal expenses.
* You’ll visit the place where 350 years ago Irkutsk was founded at the confluence of two Siberian rivers: Irkut and Angara. The place is framed by three churches, two of which are Russian orthodox and the third one is Roman Catholic.
In the morning we’ll drive 100 km southwards in the direction of Kultuk village, which is the oldest Russian settlement on Lake Baikal. From there it is a short way to Sludyanka town – the starting point of our trip. The trail follows an old road that runs along Sludyanka river valley to the Lazurite mineral quarry. The route crosses the river several times, so be prepared to wade. Before it gets dark we’ll set up a tent camp on a picturesque meadow among relic cedar and poplar trees. Hiking distance for this day is 21 km (BLD).
From our camp site it is a short way to the tree line. And as we start climbing up the Chersky mount (2090 m) the slope becomes steeper. From the summit you will have a spectacular view on the southern extremity of Baikal Lake and the Heart Lake. This lake was formed by glaciers in the shape of a heart. On a clear day you can even see the rocky Sayan mountains that are located 150 km south on the Russian Mongolian border. After a rest we’ll hike down to the creek valley and stop for lunch. Then we’ll follow a stream which will bring us to the Canyon of Podkomarnaya river with its amazing waterfalls. Here we’ll stop for a short rest and enjoy swimming in the sparkling waterfalls. Tonight we’ll have a picturesque camp site with a nice view of the waterfall. Hiking distance for this day is 18 km. (BLD)
Today morning after breakfast we’ll hike down the Podkomarnaja river to the lower cascade of waterfalls. From there the trail goes through a very thick forest that resembles a jungle. Your guide-interpreter will show you old bear traps and explain you the ancient ways of hunting bears in Siberia. After that we’ll hike across a mountain ridge and find ourselves on an old forest road that 200 years ago used to be a caravan trail for traders and merchants from China. Historically it was one of the main trading routes from Asia to the European part of Russia. We’ll hike down this trail back to Sludyanka river and set up a tent camp at the river side. Hiking distance for this day is 17 km.
Our last hiking day to Sludyanka town. As we have finished the trip we’ll drive back to Irkutsk on a minibus. Transfer time is about 2.5 hours with a lunch stop. Upon arrival accommodation in a guest house. Dinner on your own. (B)
Breakfast. Transfer to the airport or railway station. (B)
- Please, note that the check in is at 12-00. In case of early arrival you might have to wait at the reception for the check-in hours.
- You may adjust the program and add a few days as an optional tour which is not included in the main tour cost.
- Overall backpacking route length – 65 km.
- Customers should be physically prepared for backpacking in the mountains with heavy backpacks.
- It’s required that tourists have waterproof jacket proper footwear and warm clothes.
- Meals are cooked over campfire.
- Climate conditions: Occasional rains and low temperatures at night are possible. Due to the changeable weather the tour itinerary may be altered.
|Number of PAX in a group||2||3||4-5||6-8|
|Cost p/p in Rubles||34 800||27 900||24 600||19 100|
- Single supplement in a guest house 1 700 Rub
- Ground transportation as described in the itinerary;
- Accommodations as described in the itinerary based on DBL occupancy;
- All meals described (B – breakfast, L – lunch, D – dinner);
- Rent of tents and sleeping mats;
- All excursions, entrance fees, and visits as described in itinerary;